Applications are invited from candidates who possess the necessary qualifications in order to fill one (1) Research Fellow position at the Department of Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering and Informatics in the field of “Identity and Access Control Management” for the ReCRED research project _ ΚΩΔ: ΔΤΕΠ7.
The main goal of ReCRED is to unify under the mobile personal devices the authentication and authorization mechanisms that provide access control for online services. In layman terms, RECRED aims at obviating the need for a user to remember many hard to guess passwords so that he can access his Google, Facebook or work accounts.
Instead, ReCRED will produce software solutions that enable the user to login to his mobile device in a usable and secure way (e.g., with a short PIN or through biometric authentication such as fingerprint scanning). Subsequently, the mobile device becomes a secure authentication gateway to online services employing state of the art cryptographic protocols for access control. Besides increased security, this approach has the additional advantage of providing user-friendly attribute-based access control, i.e., a user can prove parts of his identity, such as his age, without sacrificing his anonymity.
At the same time, ReCRED will add safeguards on the device which will continuously validate through behavioral biometrics (e.g., by analyzing the user’s walk patterns) that the rightful owner of the device still has the device in his possession and this has not been stolen. In case the device is lost, the user will have the ability to restore his cryptographic credentials on a new device.
The project is a collaboration between global telecommunication companies Telefonica and Verizon, the Romanian security solutions provider certSIGN, the mobile solutions provider UPCOM, the Web applications company WEDIA, the EXUS debt and origination solution provider, the Baker and Mckenzie law firm and the universities: CUT, UC3M, Roma Tor Vergata, and UPRC.
The ultimate goal of the project is to assess and validate the aforementioned technologies with end-users and to have them adopted as commercial products by the involved companies. ReCRED is a prime example of applied research in the computer security systems with excellent prospects for high technological and societal impact
The research fellow must hold a PhD in Computer Science. He will be called upon to acquire expertise in Networked Systems, Security, Large Scale Data Processing, Cryptography, Identity Management and Mobile Computing. The successful applicants should be able to demonstrate excellent postdoctoral knowledge of Computer Security concepts as well as outstanding software implementation skills.
Applicants should have:
- PhD from a recognized university in Computer Science.
- Organizational skills and experience supervising Masters or PhD students
- Participation in funded research programs
- Prior research experience in Computer Security. Deep understanding of cryptographic authentication protocols
- Excellence in writing technical documents in English (scientific publications and project deliverables)
- Experience in writing research proposals
- Programming experience in a high-level programming language
- Very good knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Excellent presentation skills of scientific work
The monthly gross salary for the position will be €2959,64. There is no provision for 13th salary. Τhe appointment will be for a period of 6 months, starting February 1st 2016, with a provision for renewal until the end of the project on Apr 30 2018.
Applicants are requested to submit the following:
1. A cover letter with which they will express their interest for the job opening and state clearly the date that can take over responsibilities – 2 copies
2. A summary of their research experience and future research goals (up to 2 pages) – 2 copies
3. A complete CV (in English of/and in Greek) – 2 copies
4. Proof of their qualifications – 2 copies
5. The names and contact information of two people who are willing to provide references – 2 copies
6. Complete contact information – 2 copies
Applications must be submitted in a sealed envelope marked as “Application for Research Fellow Position – Department of Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering and Informatics_ ΚΩΔ: ΔΤΕΠ7” at the premises of the Cyprus University of Technology, Human Resource Department, Limassol Savings Co-operative Bank Building, 4th Floor, Arch. Kyprianos 31, 3036 Limassol or must be sent via registered post (P.O. Box 50329, CY-3603 Limassol) postmarked no later than Monday, February 12th, 2016 at 2:00 p.m. which is the deadline for the submission of applications.