During the e-interview with Elkana Pressler of Brightmerge, Prof. Charalambides presented their “Getting Cyprus into 100% Renewable Energy” vision and discussed the necessity of being “smart” in the design of future energy networks and the challenges of the current uncertain period and the post-Corona world from a sustainable energy aspect.
Prof. Charalambides talks, amongst others, about his and his colleagues attempts to make the island of Cyprus run on 100% renewable energy. The attempts happen, mainly, through the Chemical Engineering Department and the Sustainable Energy Laboratory of the Cyprus University of Technology and through the collaboration with EIT Climate-KIC.
Some of the topics covered in the interview include the:
- Smart Specialisation Strategy of Cyprus
- National Energy and Climate Plan of Cyprus
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship aspect of the decarbonisation effort
- Policy situation in Cyprus
- “energy isolation” of Cyprus
- Energy communities – Energy Poverty and
- how COVID-19 has impacted the island